USA Holidays, Sick Leave

Sick leave/vacation time can be virtually non-existent here. Depends on who you work for. When I worked at Rite Aid (drug store like Boots), I was not entitled to sick leave or vacation time in the first year!!!! Other jobs, more professional environment, and I have only had 2 in 2 separate law offices, I had 2 weeks vacation per year for the whole time I was there, I believe after 5 years I got an additional year. I never used any sick time, and am not sure what it was. In my other firm there you had to earn it, and we got 8 hours, plus a little extra, for each month that we worked. Again, I don't know what the sick was, because I never used any. I almost died when I first moved here, and realized I was not going to get the 6 weeks that I had gotten in England. They're very stingy with it here, and they still haven't got the fact that it doesn't improve productivity. Now that I work for myself I make sure that I take the full 6 weeks I believe that I am entitled to.

I actually have no problem working from home, and I get all the social interaction that I need at the market every weekend. I am SO anti-social anyway, it works perfectly for me. I rarely answer the phone, thank fuck for caller id, but I do enjoy my time at the market at the weekends. We're basically one big happy family, and most of us are misfits in one way or another anyway. Calling for snow again on Friday night through Saturday morning, Market Manager said that this has been the worst autumn/winter in 22 years, it's killing all of us financially.

No comments: